• Sigma Chartered Accountancy

What Is Capital Gains Tax, and How Can We Help?

Capital Gains Tax is a levy on the gains made after selling something you own, such as a house, shares, land, or a business. So, if you own second homes, antiques, shares, and/or various other assets, and you go on to sell them then you could be looking at a tax bill. The amount of Capital Gains Tax imposed depends on the type of investment or property sold, how long you've had it, the profits incurred and whether it's a personal or corporate asset.

When Do I Need To Pay Capital Gains Tax?

Capital Gains Tax is typically charged on the following assets:

  • Shares

  • Investment funds

  • Inherited properties

  • Second homes

  • Antiques, art, jewellery

  • Business sales

Capital gains on such assets are currently taxed at a lower rate than income tax, as they’re perceived to be more risky investments, so the additional burden of risk carries greater potential reward.

You get an annual CGT allowance of £12,300 (2020/21). Any capital gains over that amount are taxable.

To declare your capital gains, you can report the disposal of certain assets (not property) via HMRC’s “Real Time” Capital Gains Tax Service. If you are registered for Self Assessment already, declarations must also be made via a Self Assessment tax return by 31st January following the tax year of disposal.

How Can We Help?

Before selling any asset, you'll probably want to know how much capital gains tax the sale will attract. You'll also need an experienced accountant to help you get your tax information updated. At Sigma Chartered Accountancy, we will help you file the necessary paperwork and make sure your tax information and calculations are correct.

Do You Have Any Queries?

Tax information can be complicated, and if you are not sure whether your sale attracts a CGT, we'll help you get the answer. We will offer you quality taxation services and inform you of when you should pay the capital gains tax and how much.

We will also let you know the exceptions where you don't need to pay the tax, for instance, when you have received an asset gift from your spouse. Additionally, suppose the property's sale has resulted in losses. In that case, we'll help you prepare the necessary paperwork and report to HMRC to reduce the chargeable amount.

What will you learn from us?

  • The current capital gain tax rates

  • Whether you should pay the capital gains tax

  • How much to pay

  • Whether you qualify for tax deductions e.g. private residential relief

Call us for more information and help to make your capital gains tax payment on time.

{{count, number}} view{{count, number}} comment

Recent Posts

See All

Landlord Tax: Allowable Expenses As a landlord, you can reduce your tax bill by deducting a number of expenses that you might incur as a result of letting out a property. These are known as allowable